I was resigned to spend my off at the mall..by myself. It was okay. I usually do that. It gives me time to think than having my friends pull my arms and drag me in and out of several shops. I shop like a guy, you know. I know what I want and which shop to go to. I can spend just an hour at the mall but be able to buy myself a pair of jeans and a couple of tops. I’m good like that!
But I got a text from one of my college buddy and she was asking if we could meet up for a movie marathon at the mall. I was hesitant. I know she’s going to start with her depressing rants about her work, love life and stuff.
The movie marathon ended up as a shopping spree. I tagged along. Watched two of my friends go in and out of different shops, trying out clothes, shoes and accessories. I told you, I wasn’t cut out to do window-shopping with girl friends. I’m better off alone.
We finally found ourselves lounging in a coffee shop. It was raining hard and we were fortunate enough to score some seats outside while looking at people getting drenched. I thought I was in for a superficially good time. That means we’ll talk about everything except topics that would really matter; like life and love. I’m glad I was wrong.
It turned out to be a magical evening. We started talking about how life was treating us: Pathetic works at a popular company who sell cars. An executive assistant, who hates her job, hates her co-workers and had just broken up with her boyfriend, who happens to be from the same office. The only solution we see fit is for her to finally move on and get a new job. A fact that she refuses to accept. Barbie works as an Associate Producer at a local TV Station and happens to love her job but hates the fact that there’s an anomaly going on within the show and she can’t convince her boss to end it. And Me, a CSR at an outsource Call Center for almost two years who’s having itchy feet, wants to travel or at least go into production but didn’t have enough moolah to make it a reality.
We started off by casually filling each other with the highs and lows at work, life and love (or lack of it) until it got serious. We would sometimes stare into space then voice out certain realizations. Maybe the rain did it. I can call it magical. Three women stuck in a coffee shop after a supposed movie marathon that ended in a shopping spree. Three women who all came from one Alma Mater; shared some three and so years together before bravely stepping into the real world.
That brief afternoon was like a glimpse of our small world then. When life was still simple. We had less responsibilities and all we worried about was how to pass the exam and how to sneak out of the classroom unnoticed so we can head off to our fave net café then.
We went home not being able to solve some of life’s problems. But it felt good knowing that our uncertainties are uncertainties of a lot of people as well. And finally voicing it out was as good as unraveling one of life’s riddles. Spending that short time with them was really unforgettable.
Maybe it’s because of the weather. Maybe it’s because of the place. Maybe it’s because of the rain


No comments:
Post a Comment