I just turned 1!
It has been a year full of rants, raves and a whole lotta stuff.
I have a lot to be thankful for...
I and some 2 million individuals have the people who started this weblogging frenzy to be thankful for..
it's now a venue for many 'what-have-you's' ranging from current events, personal angst, news, etc.
I became curious and started searching the Internet on the History of Weblogs and here are some articles I was able to dig up:
"Weblogs are often-updated sites that point to articles elsewhere on the web, often with comments, and to on-site articles. A weblog is kind of a continual tour, with a human guide who you get to know. There are many guides to choose from, each develops an audience, and there's also comraderie and politics between the people who run weblogs, they point to each other, in all kinds of structures, graphs, loops, etc".
"Today, there are hundreds of thousands of weblog sites, and the market for tools for managing such sites is growing quickly. My company, UserLand, makes two products for weblogs, Manila, which is a centralized server-based content management system; and Radio UserLand which provides easy and powerful weblogging from the desktop".
-BlogOnBlog
"This rapid growth continued steadily until July 1999 when Pitas, the first free build-your-own-weblog tool launched, and suddenly there were hundreds. In August, Pyra released Blogger, and Groksoup launched, and with the ease that these web-based tools provided, the bandwagon-jumping turned into an explosion. Late in 1999 software developer Dave Winer introduced Edit This Page, and Jeff A. Campbell launched Velocinews. All of these services are free, and all of them are designed to enable individuals to publish their own weblogs quickly and easily".
"The original weblogs were link-driven sites. Each was a mixture in unique proportions of links, commentary, and personal thoughts and essays. Weblogs could only be created by people who already knew how to make a website. A weblog editor had either taught herself to code HTML for fun, or, after working all day creating commercial websites, spent several off-work hours every day surfing the web and posting to her site. These were web enthusiasts".
"Many current weblogs follow this original style. Their editors present links both to little-known corners of the web and to current news articles they feel are worthy of note. Such links are nearly always accompanied by the editor's commentary".
-excerpt from Rebecca's Pocket: 'Weblogs: a history and perspective'
"I've taken a few stabs at it already, and learned a lot along the way. Lesson One: Blogs can do a tremendous job breaking news, and journalists are wise to start their own to tap that power. Lesson Two: Some rare bloggers become amateur journalists, a status which brings with it its own unique ethical challenges. Lesson Three: Most bloggers are more like Columnists than capital-J Journalists".
blogger : journalist :: tick : sheep
bloggers : journalists :: dung beetles : elephants
"But surely bloggers are more than just ticks and dung beetles feeding off of their journalist hosts! True, the majority of links in weblogs are to articles written by journalists... but I've seen too many articles by journalists pulled straight from weblogs, Blogdex, and Metafilter to buy fully into the Bloggers/Parasite metaphor".
-excerpts from Blogosphere: the emerging Media Ecosystem by John Hiler
These and a lot more articles on how weblogs evolved makes me smile and marvel how this one phenomenon united people from around the world no matter what age and location.
I think there's just this neverending need for all of us to express ourselves in form of writing and I guess taht simply explains why weblogs were created.
Hooray for Blogging!!!
++++++++++
A year of blogging and I must say that reading my past posts made me know myself more.
*smiles
++++++++++
'Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads'.
Erica Jong
++++++++++
I can't wait to watch 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban'!
They've changed a lot after the two previous films. Even Emma Watson looks like a budding lady between the two 'no longer boys but not yet men' cuties.
I'm also excited to see Gary Oldman play Sirius Black. Woohoo!
*picture taken during the NYC premiere
++++++++++
: A-Z questions...
A - Age: 24
B - Band listening to right now: Black Eyed Peas
C - Career in future: zzzzzzzz....*bump Oh! Where was i? Ahm...a successful something =D
D - Dad's name: Papa
E - Easiest person/s to talk to: My closest
friends
F - Favorite song(s) at the moment: Roses by Outkast
G - Gummy Bears or Gummy Worms: WORMS!!! *slurps
H - Hometown: somewhere
I - Instruments: piano..when i was a kid
K- Kids: I love kids! But no..I don't have one yet.
L - Longest car ride ever: manila to Iba Zambales and back
M - Mom's name: Mommy
N - Number of siblings: 2
P - Phobia[s]: falling...in love? hahah! ZZZZZZZZ
Q - Favourite Quote: To become what you are and to become what you are capable of becoming is the end of life.
R - Reason[s] to smile: a lot!
S - Song you sang last: Sasakyan kita by Gladys and the Boxers (IO KTV w/ friends!)
T - Time you wake up: 7ish in the PM
U - Unknown fact about me: i kill people just for fun...*wicked laugh
V - Vegetable you hate?: all those slimy veggie...gross!
W - Worst habit: uhm..ahm..
X - X-rays you've had: can't remember..
Y - Yummy food/s: I love to it, end of discussion
Z - Zodiac sign: Sagittarius


No comments:
Post a Comment