I suddenly felt bored today. I missed having a plan and not going straight home after work. Back home I can always go out. It doesn't matter whether I'm alone or with friends; have coffee and a smoke, do window shopping, and drink no matter what time of the day I get off work. My point being - THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO AFTER BEING A CORPORATE DRONE for the day.
Being in Beijing for almost two years now, I found myself being one with the commuting public. The locals here have a routine: get to work at 9am and go home at 6am..no sideway trips to somewhere or else it'll take them forever to get home. I thought I'll enjoy being normal again but it's taxing having to join the hustle of the crowd during rush hour (in the subway) and the sad fact that I'm doing it 5 times a week (except if I'm so lazy that I just take a cab to work).
I'm afraid I've become so boring..going straight home during weekdays and going out on weekends. I find no use going to the malls because they suck. MAlls here don't have coffee shops with seats outside or other sights that will entice people to spend their time at the mall. Malls here are for people who have certain missions: to eat, to shop, and to ride the subway (the entrance of w/c is on the basement). You just can't "make tambay" at the malls because there's absolutely nothing to do.
Bars here don't appeal to my taste. I miss going for a drink just for the sheer pleasure of spending a few drunken hours with dear friends. The aim of people going to the bars is to meet or hook up with new people.
Don't get me wrong, I like living here. I just suddenly missed my crazy life back in the Philippines. When I got here it's like I was given a remote but it's always stuck and runs on slow-mo. It sucks sometimes.
Just hafta be thankful that I felt like this on a Friday instead of a Monday. I would've ended up jumping out of my 8th floor apartment window.
Friday, March 21
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment