Why would one want to limit their potential by not taking on new challenges?This co-worker and friend baffled me and our superior by declining a new task assigned to him. He was asked to collate the scattered documents we used when we trained for the account and train the Russian agents before they go live.
His reasons: he's not bred to be a trainer and he's not compensated enough. This guy wants to move up to the TL position, mind you.
Now that really got me confused. In the past, I have done a lot of stuff that weren't in my job description as an agent: trained and interviewed candidates; when I was promoted to the Senior Rep position back in Sykes, I created processes that wasn't really stated in my JD and yet I did it. And look where I'm at.
Geez, I get his explanation but I can't fathom why he wants to limit himself to just manning people. Future employers would want to look how multi-faceted a candidate is before a position is given to him. For some, they even have to prove themselves first while unpaid in order to get to the position they desire.
Why would someone want to move up but would not be willing to learn new skills that will help him attain his goals? Why? Why?
I guess I'll just take that load from his shoulders and probably introduce 2 or 3 of my best agents to this task. I know they'll be up to the challenge.


No comments:
Post a Comment